What does the act of spending mean to you or me? Is it a habit-something we must do every day? Is it a priviledge we allow ourselves because we can afford it?Or (Heaven forbid!)' is it an addiction, something we believe we must do?
To clearify these questions, I'm talking about discretionary spending, i.e. buying things that we really don't need. What if something we spend on, causes harm to ourselves or others? What if it is destructive to our actual budget allowance? Or is just a waste of money?
One thing I can do is ask myself If I need a thing today, or if I can wait to buy it next week or next month. If there is such a thing as an appreciation peak, could I not appreciate something more if I allow myself time to plan for and enjoy it in advance? Examples of advance planning and later appreciation would be a wonderful vacation that we are allowed to enjoy only once in several years, a family wedding, and the birth of a baby.
Let's be the deciders ourselves about whether we spend our money or not and when.
You have a good point there Kiddo!
ReplyDelete